- Pet food maker Mera is the first to use pre-made, mono-material, recyclable plastic FlexiBags for its semi moist dog food
- A new 12.5 kg bag is the largest sustainable FlexiBag Recyclable on the pet food market and has officially been certified for recyclability by Institute cyclos-HTP
- The bag features a special aroma and fat barrier as well as optimised palletisation and convenient reclosure
09 June 2020 – German pet food maker Mera Tiernahrung GmbH has partnered with global leader in packaging and paper, Mondi, to expand its product line to include a new type of dog food with semi-moist croquettes. Mera realised that this type of pet food would require bespoke packaging to keep the chewable morsels fresh and moist for the duration of the product’s life span, while also being sustainable by design.
Using Mondi’s customer-centric approach, EcoSolutions, helps clients find the most effective and sustainable way to protect their products. Mondi recommended a packaging for Mera that addressed the practical aspects of food preservation without compromising on sustainability.
“Mondi’s FlexiBag Recyclable is a mono-material, polyethylene-based product with a barrier that is fully recyclable. This 12.5 kg bag is the largest of its kind using recyclable packaging in the pet food sector,” says Fitore Loshaj, Regional Sales DACH for Mondi Consumer Flexibles.
The bag has a tight seal to ensure long-term freshness and protect the pet food inside. The packaging is fitted with a special one-way valve, which only vents from the inside to the outside. With the help of this valve, the excess air can escape to improve transport when palletizing the filled packages. The resealable zipper makes it easy for the consumer to open and close the bag, and thanks to the attractive matt external finish, the packaging catches the eye on the shelf.
Institute cyclos–HTP GmbH, the Institute for Recyclability and Product Responsibility, independently tested and certified the material, rating it as 95% recyclable in those areas where suitable recycling infrastructures are in place.
“The adoption of FlexiBag Recyclable for this application advances Mera down the path toward increased sustainability. Sustainability is a top priority for us, and working together with Mondi to make our packaging better for the environment was a logical next step to help meet our goals. Mera is the first company in the pet food sector to be certified by the TÜV Rheinland according to the ZNU standard of sustainable management,” said Mera Managing Director, Felix Vos.
According to the Mondi/Dow Premium Pet Packaging survey customers are beginning to pay more attention to the bag along with what’s inside it. In the same study, one in three pet owners claimed they would switch to a brand that offers more sustainable packaging.
- Home TextilesDecember 2, 2023Consumer patterns in the domains of lifestyle and home
- News & InsightsDecember 2, 2023In order to address textile waste, India will emerge as a “leader” in Next-Gen textile solutions.
- Apparel, Fashion & RetailDecember 2, 2023Durability, quick fashion, and other obstacles to climate neutrality
- Dyes & ChemicalsDecember 2, 2023“CIRCULAR SOLUTIONS FOR A TEXTILE REVOLUTION”