From indigo to green: Beyond Denim to display eco-conscious fabrics for Autumn / Winter 2020-21
Over 140 leading overseas and domestic denim suppliers will gather at the Beyond Denim product zone from 25 – 27 September, for the 25th Autumn Edition of Intertextile Shanghai Apparel Fabrics. With more denim factories embracing sustainable practices, including waste water treatments and renewable energy, Beyond Denim will also feature a display zone themed around natural fibres, eco-friendly dyes and a generous helping of nostalgia. High-tech features and skilled craftsmanship are also expected to be popular selling points in Autumn / Winter 2020-21 denim.
Beyond Denim exhibitors can submit samples of their denim fabrics for visitors to explore at the display zone. The season’s themes include:
SERENITY: “Nesting at home in a cosy environment is the mood of the moment. Eco-friendliness and sustainability are inherent in casual denim, while corduroy is infused with hemp and Tencel.” Organic cotton, Tencel and linen blends are key to this theme, which focuses on natural fibres and comfort.
RE-MADE: “Fueled by contemporary nostalgia and an obsession with upcycling of past fashion. Saving the planet requires the global intent to reduce, reuse, recycle and remake.” Recycled denim fabrics and vintage effects will give the feeling of upcycled fashion.
CRAFT: “A rich colour palette is gleaned from changing foliage and unique root vegetables. A strong sense of folklore prevails in pattern, fabric and the handiwork of ancient cultural arts and crafts.” Natural dyes and skilled effects such as needle work and applique meet an appreciation for craftsmanship, in this nature-inspired autumnal theme.
NEW AGE: “High-tech features, including shimmer and holographic effects, give denim an edge and appeal, aligning it with street culture and its performative sense of identity.” For standout fashion, high-tech finishing effects (such as reflective, metallic and PU coatings) are predicted to be popular in denim.
On-trend options can be found from overseas exhibitors, such as those in the Pakistan Zone:
• Indigo Textile control their product from yarn to finished fabric, which is certified by OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 and meets the Global Recycle Standard. Their collections include 4-D eXpanded (stretch denim), Retro-Relived (vintage inspired looks) and Habitat (breathable yarn for a “lived in” denim texture inspired by the earthiness of nature).
• Siddiqsons will bring comfortable stretch denim, as well as Tencel and cotton denim. Siddiqsons place importance on sustainable practices, such as responsible sourcing and minimising production waste.
• Azgard Nine will display denim fabrics made with Tencel and Modal
• Rajby Textiles will bring their Green Mystery collection of C2C Gold certified denim fabrics, including cotton and cotton blends, manufactured sustainably.
• Soorty develop their denim fabrics with inspiration from nature, while promoting their sustainable processing methods.
More options can be found with denim exhibitors from Turkey:
• Orta Anadolu will showcase their new innovative collections at the fair, which includes their ZERO-MAX® REVITALISED line. Described as “sustainable denim taken to the next level”, the fabric is crafted with unique twill and elasticity fusion to make the denim soft and shaping, while now being revitalised with more colour options, recycled polyester and post-consumer recycled denim. They will also bring their HALYS denim, coated with traditional artisanal red clay from a local river, for a unique texture and colour.
• Bossa will bring their new collections for the season, including Techknit denim woven with thermolite and wool fibres, velvety corduroy denims, Ultranero intense black denim, 100% sustainable denim and coated denim fabrics.
• Atlas Denim Tekstil will offer high quality and eco-friendly cotton denim fabric.
• Kipas Pazarlama will bring cotton and Tencel denim fabrics.
The fair will be held concurrently with Yarn Expo Autumn, CHIC and PH Value from 25 – 27 September, at the National Exhibition and Convention Center (Shanghai). Beyond Denim will be located in hall 7.2.
Intertextile Shanghai Apparel Fabrics – Autumn Edition 2019 is co-organised by Messe Frankfurt (HK) Ltd; the Sub-Council of Textile Industry, CCPIT; and the China Textile Information Centre. For more details on this fair, please visit: www.intertextileapparel.com. Information from the international textiles sector and Messe Frankfurt’s textile fairs worldwide can be found at: www.texpertise-network.com.