As we face restrictions on global travel, Switzerland encourages people to ‘Dream Now Travel Later’, assuring the world that the beautiful country will pause time and stay the way it is to be ready to welcome visitors when the world opens up. Till then, it is a good idea to travel through your kitchens and experiment with dishes that are symbolic to Switzerland and experience the cuisine from one of the most loved destination.
Here are the top easy to make recipes with ingredients available in your kitchen.
1. ‘Alpine Macaroni’ or known to the Swiss as Älplermagrone, is the ultimate comfort food one can find on the slopes of the famous Alps. This alpine dish is found everywhere on restaurant menus from Appenzell to Zermatt, through Lugano and St. Moritz.
This Swiss version of Macaroni and cheese is best eaten after a long hike or trek, as most Swiss will tell you, it tastes better when you’ve earned it. But staying at home- keeping yourself and others away from harm’s way, it is safe to say that you have earned it. The ingredients for this wholesome dish are all simple and can be found easily in your pantry. Some vegetables, pasta and decent cheese, are the only things that you will need to re-create this alpine dish in your kitchen.
2. Has this quarantine been too tough on you? Then indulge in some ‘Cheese Fondue’ for a generous dose of creamy pot of cheese with the pieces of bread just like the Swiss do. Switzerland is known for its best fondues, however there are many different styles and versions. One of the best variations is the Fribourg one, the moitié-moitié, made from spicy Gruyères and softly melting Vacherin cheeses.
Looking for a Saturday night cheat meal? Then melt up the cheese and serve it with vegetables, lavash, croutons and potato wedges, this gives an interesting twist to your fondue palette while you binge watch on your favourite shows.
3. ‘Rosti’ or also known as “Röstigraben” (Rösti ditch), originally a farmers’ breakfast from German-speaking Switzerland, is now a Swiss national dish with each region having its own version. The Bernese, for example, are known for their crispy Rösti fried in butter.
This classic comfort food is surprisingly easy to make, with some tricks along the way, and it turns potatoes into a main meal. The recipe can be summarized in five words: grate potatoes sautéed in butter. The resulting dish is a pancake of potato, crispy brown on the outside, gooey, buttery, potato-licious inside. This is a dish that is very easy-peasy to create in your kitchens for a lazy Sunday brunch.
4. Meringue, a sweet kiss with egg whites is a sugary pastry invented around the year 1600. Since the delicate and airy pastry made from egg whites and the thick battered Gruyères cream complement each other so well, one easily understands why Meringue is a favorite dessert in the land of Fribourg. You can enjoy your meringue in two ways one can be slowly baked, transforming into crisp cookies or as dessert on top of cake’s layers. It is a good start to your love for baking delicious desserts.
So, bring out the foodie in you and experience the taste of this magical destination by trying out some of the famous dishes.
For more interesting recipes from Switzerland visit below:
- Apparel, Fashion & Retail2022.10.03Textile Machinery Manufacturers’ Association (India) at the “62 nd Annual General Meeting of the Association”
- Apparel, Fashion & Retail2022.10.03Online Sellers Besieged with Reduced Sales & Margins
- Apparel, Fashion & Retail2022.10.03CLOTHING BRAND FREECULTR MERCHANDISE PARTNER FOR FIFA 2022
- Fibres and Yarns2022.10.03Abundant sourcing options to mark Yarn Expo Shenzhen’s return this November